News & Events
Earth Day/Bay day - April 13, 2013
Vet School Open house Texas A&M University College Station – April 20, 2013
Earl C. Sams Foundation Grant Awarded to Texas Sealife Center
Moving into our new home at Packery Channel Park
- The Texas Sealife Center was awarded a $2500.00 grant from the Earl C. Sam’s Foundation for purchase of a sea turtle hospital pool.
- This is the first grant received by the Texas Sealife Center and is a major contribution to help the sea turtles we are striving to protect.
Cold stunned sea turtles 2011
- On March 19th, 2013 the Texas Sealife Center received keys to our new home at 14220 Park Rd 22 on North Padre Island.
- The first week included minor renovations to the building including cleaning, painting and setting up some of our initial hospital caging and medical equipment in the treatment area.
- The second week consisted of clearing invasive trees and plants from our wooded area behind the building. This will allow us to create a nature trail for guests to learn about native and invasive plants as well as seeing the occasional local resident birds.
- Freezing temperature in late January 2011 resulted in over 1400 stranded sea turtles on the Texas coast. Of the 1400, nearly 200 cold-stunned turtles were found in Corpus Christi and the surrounding region and an additional 200 were transported from South Texas to our area for supportive care.
- A cooperative effort: Together with Donna Shaver PhD, the Turtle Salvage and Stranding Network, Tony Amos, ARK volunteers, and Texas Sealife Center volunteers all 400 turtles were evaluated, treated, and returned to the ocean. The success could not have been possible without the cooperative effort of all the organizations involved.